Announcing The 7th ANNUAL
-- GREAT CAPE ESCAPE --
This year it's a Virtual Race!
A superhero-themed 5K/10K and 5+10K challenge superhero run!
opens SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 18, 2021
with virtual festivities SATURDAY, OCTOBER 9, 2021
RACE CLOSES SUNDAY OCTOBER 10, 2021
PACKET PICK UP AT DICK'S SPORTING GOODS BURLINGTON OCTOBER 8 FROM 4-7 PM!!!
(1465 Boone Station Dr, Burlington, NC)
All race proceeds benefit THE OPEN DOOR CLINIC OF ALAMANCE COUNTY
REGISTER NOW TO BE A HERO FOR OPEN DOOR CLINIC!
AWARDS & SWAG
ALL PARTICIPANTS WILL RECEIVE THE CUSTOM FINISHERS MEDAL
for their race-- 5K, 10K OR 5+10K Challenge
PRIZES FOR COSTUME CONTEST WINNERS
Optional T-Shirt too!
Using the IYR Virtual mobile app to record your run and upload your time into the online results:
Celebrating it's 7th year, the Great Cape Escape 5K,10K and Superhero Challenge has become one of the most exciting and family-friendly races in Alamance County. Don your costume and complete the 5K, 10K or 5+10K Superhero Challenge (both races combined) on whatever route you like-- forest, road, beach... anywhere! Log your finish through the ItsYourRace website and wear your medal proudly-- you've been a hero for the Open Door Clinic! And don't forget about the costume contest with prizes mailed to the winners!
100% of the profits from The Great Cape Escape go to The Open Door Clinic of Alamance County, which provides quality healthcare for the uninsured. The clinic treats over 500 patients yearly and offers “free health care services with dignity, professionalism, and concern for the uninsured and indigent residents of Alamance County.” You can make an incredible difference by running, sponsoring, or making a donation!
REGISTER NOW to be a hero for Open Door!
You can also make a hero-worthy donation directly to the Open Door Clinic through Venmo!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQS)
How much does it cost to participate?
What info do you need from me at signup?
- 5K Race: $20.00 with medal included.
- 10K Race: $20.00 with medal included.
- Superhero Challenge: $25.00 with medal included.
Can I donate to Open Door Clinic? YES! ON the registration page you will see an option to donate. You also can donate directly to the clinic at its website: https://opendoorclinic.net/donate. Open Door Clinic is a 501c3 nonprofit, so all donations are 100% tax-deductable.
- Your name
- Some basic information about you
- What race you would like to run (5k, 10K, or Superhero Challenge)
- T-shirt size preference (if you order the optional T-Shirt)
- Your TEAM NAME if a team is signing up!
What should I wear when I run? You can wear anything you want, but we suggest that you Dress Like the Superhero You Are! Aside from the fact that dressing like a hero is fun and awesome, your costume makes others ask "Hey... why do I keep seeing runners dressed that way?", and the story of Open Door Clinic gets told again and again. More awareness means more support for Open Door. Plus, it means you are eligible to be considered for the "Best Costume" award (see "Prizes" for more information on how to qualify)
How do I get my swag? If you're local we can mail it right to your door, or we will have a local pick-up location! If you're remote, we're happy to mail it to you. We'll ask you which on your signup page.
What's the race swag like?
Tell me more about Open Door Clinic of Alamance County!
- Race Medals: All runners who finish the 5K, 10K or 5+10K challenge will receive the custom Finishers Medal for their particular race.
- T-shirt: we have an optional T-shirt that we'll also mail you or give at local pickup if you order. What's it like? It's not your regular cotton tee-- it's made with tri-blend performance fabric so you can run proudly with it again and again. :)
- Costume Contest Prizes: care to compete? See more information on this website! These prizes will be mailed/ given out after race festivities weekend.
- Our love and appreciation: You are a hero for all of us at the Open Door Clinic! Carry that knowledge proudly in your heart as you go forward from this race. Over 500 citizens of ALamance County would have no health care if it weren't for this clinic, and the clinic couldn't exist without runners like you. We keep our overhead minimal, and 100% of our proceeds go to Open Door Clinic-- so your signup really makes a difference!
- The Open Door Clinic’s mission is to offer free healthcare services with dignity, professionalism and concern for the indigent and uninsured residents of Alamance County.
- The clinic was established in 1990 by a group of physicians in the community that recognized a need for healthcare for the uninsured. We now treat over 600 patients with more than 2,800 visits a year. The value of services that are donated to our patients each year is close to $1 million. The clinic relies on volunteers, donations and fundraisers. We are committed to providing quality care with compassion.
- A large part of the Open Door Clinic's budget comes from its dual fundraisers, the Open Roads Classic Bike Event and The Great Cape Escape. Past races have raised between $20,000 - $22,000 each year! This year, COVID has changed the race's format, but hasn't changed the need felt by the Clinic. Won't you support us?
AWARDS & PRIZES
1. Race Medals: All runners who finish will receive the custom Finishers Medal for their race.
3. Costume Prizes: Dress to impress and win a prize! The Superhero Costume Contest is open to all runners, with prizes are awarded as follows:
- First place for best individual costume
- First place for best group costume (max 6 people)
- Additional prizes may be given depending on the nature of the costumes.
- See Facebook/Instagram for more details
Many thanks to our fabulous sponsors for the prizes in these categories!
THANK YOU TO THESE GENEROUS SPONSORS!